[Geany-Devel] Github Comment Mails

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Aug 21 23:54:59 UTC 2015

On 15-08-21 02:26 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On 19/08/15 05:46, Matthew Brush wrote:

>>> Or by the remote deleting the branch
>>>

>> Yeah, it would be archived and not affected by force pushes, delete
>> branches or editing of comments.
>
> Nice idea.
> The mailing list itself would be no problem at all. It's more difficult
> to get the data from Github.
> On https://github.com/geany/geany/settings/hooks there is "services" and
> they support "Email" but it will send mails only on pushes, not what we
> want.
> An alternative would a web hook where you can choose detailed on which
> events the hook is triggered. But then you need something on the
> receiving side which takes the event and transform it into a mail to
> send it to the mailing list. Possible but requires some work.
>
> I just had a quick look at the available other services
> (https://api.github.com/hooks) to find one which support commit and PR
> comments and support something self-hosted (i.e. no new dependency on
> some third-party service) but didn't find anything suitable.
>
> One more option might be to use the Geany Github account and watch the
> Geany repositories with this account to get notifications this way.
> We just need to take care to setup a separate email address in the
> Github account settings for notifications because the primary address
> will be used for account settings/notifications/password resets. Those
> should not be sent to a public mailing list :).
> Should be possible and probably the easiest way.
>
> If you agree, I could work on this.

Sounds like a good idea.

Did you look at the Github API proper? We could probably hack up a
script to harvest the comments that way (it's really easy to use IIRC,
it's just some URL queries and JSON responses). It might still need a
service hook or cron event or something to trigger, but it might be
workable.