[Geany-Devel] Github Comment Mails

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Aug 21 21:26:00 UTC 2015

On 19/08/15 05:46, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 15-08-18 08:43 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> On 19 August 2015 at 13:37, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to make an archived mailing list which can contain
>>> threads of
>>> comments posted to Github (maybe using Github API)? We have sometimes
>>> when
>>> squash commits it deletes Github comments, but I thought maybe we
>>> could have
>>> some stable backup + URL to link to (ex. in commit messages, on the
>>> mailing
>>> list, etc) which could be searchable and googlable and not be deleted by
>>> rebase.
>>
>> Or by the remote deleting the branch
>>

> Yeah, it would be archived and not affected by force pushes, delete
> branches or editing of comments.

Nice idea.
The mailing list itself would be no problem at all. It's more difficult
to get the data from Github.
On https://github.com/geany/geany/settings/hooks there is "services" and
they support "Email" but it will send mails only on pushes, not what we
want.
An alternative would a web hook where you can choose detailed on which
events the hook is triggered. But then you need something on the
receiving side which takes the event and transform it into a mail to
send it to the mailing list. Possible but requires some work.

I just had a quick look at the available other services
(https://api.github.com/hooks) to find one which support commit and PR
comments and support something self-hosted (i.e. no new dependency on
some third-party service) but didn't find anything suitable.

One more option might be to use the Geany Github account and watch the
Geany repositories with this account to get notifications this way.
We just need to take care to setup a separate email address in the
Github account settings for notifications because the primary address
will be used for account settings/notifications/password resets. Those
should not be sent to a public mailing list :).
Should be possible and probably the easiest way.

If you agree, I could work on this.