[Geany-Devel] Geany Portable

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Aug 21 13:20:24 UTC 2015

Le 20/08/2015 00:27, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I was working on some changes to Geany that may affect "Geany Portable"
> so I figured I'd have a look at the changes it makes to Geany to see how
> it handles binary relocation, but I can't seem to find the source
> code/changes.
>
> The link on PortableApps.com[0] seems to indicate that 1.24.1 is
> available but when I check the sources on SourceForge, it only has 0.20
> code (and it's not clear if it includes the changes or is just upstream
> source). I'm pretty sure Geany's source code would have to be modified
> in order to allow it to be "portable", since the location to the Glade
> file is fixed at compile-time, which happens to be tightly related to
> what I was curious about.

It's for Windows, and for windows we use the installation path as the
base location for the files.  We already need this simply to be able to
install to a location that might not be the same as the build-time one.
 We don't use registry for this, so the installation process has no way
of changing it.

I'm unclear what GeanyPortable changes over stock Geany, but I guess
maybe some environment so e.g. the configuration is not on the local
machine or something; but it shouldn't require any change for basic startup.

Regards,
Colomban

PS: On non-Windows, we have a binary relocation feature too, although
I'm unsure if it still actually works.