[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Sep 23 23:47:19 UTC 2014

On 14-09-23 09:23 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On 22.9.2014 г. 14:12, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>
>>> Now, Geany under Win~1 has some deficiencies, due to gtk+, so I'll
>>
>> Such as?
>
> Compared to a regular programmers editor for Win~1:
>
> +++ It's an IDE, not simply an editor, and is still light.
> ++ I have experience with it.
> + Nice plugins.
> + Real code page convertor, not "Interpret as code page foo" only.
>
> - Non-native interface. Pretty much a norm these days, and can be fixed
> to some extend.

It's worse with GTK3 too, it only makes any attempt to look "native"
when you have themes activated in Windows, so if you are using the
"classic" Windows theme, it falls back to the builtin GTK+ theme, which
looks nothing like anything on any desktop.

> - With gtk+2, randomly starts to eat several % of CPU time. Not a real
> problem, except for laptops. With gtk+ 3.8, see "Geany with gtk+ 3.6.4
> under Windows".
> - Does not work with all monospaced TrueType fonts.

Maybe same issue as this, for me it also cuts off the last pixel or two
(horizontally) of each character. Still usable like that but fonts look
weird and it's distracting.

> - Find in Files for locale texts is broken (passing locale file names to
> tools is almost surely broken too, but the locale file names support in
> glib is terrible anyway). [1]

It's not usable out-of-the box either, unless someone happens to have
grep utility in their %PATH%.