[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Sep 23 16:23:56 UTC 2014

On 22.9.2014 г. 14:12, Nick Treleaven wrote:

>> Now, Geany under Win~1 has some deficiencies, due to gtk+, so I'll
>
> Such as?

Compared to a regular programmers editor for Win~1:

+++ It's an IDE, not simply an editor, and is still light.
++ I have experience with it.
+ Nice plugins.
+ Real code page convertor, not "Interpret as code page foo" only.

- Non-native interface. Pretty much a norm these days, and can be fixed
to some extend.
- With gtk+2, randomly starts to eat several % of CPU time. Not a real
problem, except for laptops. With gtk+ 3.8, see "Geany with gtk+ 3.6.4
under Windows".
- Does not work with all monospaced TrueType fonts.
- Find in Files for locale texts is broken (passing locale file names to
tools is almost surely broken too, but the locale file names support in
glib is terrible anyway). [1]
- Filtering more than 4K of text may block. [1]
- Sync building, the resulting stdout and stderr are completely
separated. [1], though they still may be mixed, if the spawned program
emits lots of stdout and stderr texts fast enough. Haven't seen any real
program do that.

[1] OK with the spawning fix.

> GTK 4 :-o Hadn't heard of that. If it's anything like the GTK 3
> transition: be afraid!

The Big Depreciation of gtk+3 becomes The Big Removal. Don't know about
anything else, and don't care any more.

--
E-gards: Jimmy