[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1

Steven Blatnick steve8track at xxxxx
Tue Sep 23 15:19:11 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 05:57 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> It's weird you (and others) seem to dismiss XFCE while citing this as
> a goal. I've been using Xubuntu for nearly as long as I've been using
> Linux and it's been a great distro+DE configuration; familiar,
> painless, configurable, minimal, few bugs, each distro upgrade goes
> super smooth, and otherwise the whole thing stays out of the way.
>
> P.S. I have my fingers crossed Ubuntu will shield me from this systemd
> brouhaha I keep hearing about
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

I don't mind XFCE.  I seem to prefer LXDE.  But ultimately I like the
MATE menu with applications, places, and system, as well as having the
configurability without having to edit menu entry files like in LXDE,
although I think XFCE doesn't have that problem the little bit I've used
it.  I think my biggest problem with non-MATE solutions is that the
desktop widget doesn't seem to work as well with compiz (showing what
desktop you are on, etc), but all in all, I would take XFCE or LXDE over
Gnome 3 or Unity any day for a desktop.

Personally, I am more annoyed with Gnome 3 than Unity, because it's like
they've overwritten their code base to make themselves a new project
that is incompatible with what we are used to.  That said, Unity has
caused some headaches with compiz configuration being catered to them.

If I had a bit more knowledge on how to make my own distro or if I could
get a distro to adopt packages I like, I would personally like a distro
with MATE + compiz + emerald, but even Ubuntu MATE doesn't have emerald
yet (I've pushed, they suggested I make a ppa). Fortunately, that is the
easiest thing to manually build and install compared to the other two.
I also would consider PCManFM as a good file manager.  It seems to have
most of the features of nautilus/caja, but snappier/light weight.  They
just need to make a "Connect to Server..." dialog, and I would barely
notice the difference.

All of this civil unrest/war in the linux community is one of the
reasons I left making gedit plugins and am happily using geany now.
Thanks for making an awesome editor!  Please don't "gnome things up" by
breaking all of your plugins or drastically changing something. I know
there has been discussion of new plugin architectures, so hopefully they
won't force me to re-write my plugins like gedit did.

Thanks,

Steve