[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Sep 23 00:22:02 UTC 2014

On 14-09-22 08:23 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On 22.9.2014 г. 08:46, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Seriously, I can understand that systemd is controversial, but not to
>> the extend to abandon *Unix* altogether. There are many many ways to
>> avoid systemd without going Windows, for example using a distro that
>> doesn't use systemd (Gentoo, Slackware, etc) or one of the BSDs.
>
> I could not care less for being controversial - it's *broken* for me.
>
> If I'm going to distro-hop, why not Windows? A working desktop, if
> nothing else.

In no particular order, off the top of my head...

- Sandboxing
- Windows Store
- .NET
- Boxes
- Inaccessible source code
- Blue screens
- Terrible console and CLI tools
- Malware, spamware, bloatware, viruses
- Windows Updates, Genuine Advantage, phone home, etc.
- Price and the Microsoft Tax
- Inferior development tools
- Terrible platform APIs (Win32 API, DDK, COM, etc)
- Inferior performance
- Broken and annoying security model
- No special files (pty,lo,etc)
- No unified file system hierarchy
- No package management
- Little to no POSIX or other standards support
- etc...

That being said, if you cram enough FOSS onto Windows it can be made
nearly usable, and also Linux usually runs great in a virtual machine :)