[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1
mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Sep 23 00:22:02 UTC 2014
On 14-09-22 08:23 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On 22.9.2014 г. 08:46, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Seriously, I can understand that systemd is controversial, but not to
>> the extend to abandon *Unix* altogether. There are many many ways to
>> avoid systemd without going Windows, for example using a distro that
>> doesn't use systemd (Gentoo, Slackware, etc) or one of the BSDs.
> I could not care less for being controversial - it's *broken* for me.
> If I'm going to distro-hop, why not Windows? A working desktop, if
> nothing else.
In no particular order, off the top of my head...
- Windows Store
- Inaccessible source code
- Blue screens
- Terrible console and CLI tools
- Malware, spamware, bloatware, viruses
- Windows Updates, Genuine Advantage, phone home, etc.
- Price and the Microsoft Tax
- Inferior development tools
- Terrible platform APIs (Win32 API, DDK, COM, etc)
- Inferior performance
- Broken and annoying security model
- No special files (pty,lo,etc)
- No unified file system hierarchy
- No package management
- Little to no POSIX or other standards support
That being said, if you cram enough FOSS onto Windows it can be made
nearly usable, and also Linux usually runs great in a virtual machine :)
More information about the Devel