[Geany-Devel] Switched to Win~1

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Sep 22 23:57:07 UTC 2014

On 14-09-22 08:48 AM, Steven Blatnick wrote:

> On 09/22/2014 09:23 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>> After 15 years of using Linux desktop, 3 of which as maintainer of a
>> source-based distribution? :)
> I'm glad (if you want to call it that) to hear that it sounds like only
> a recent trend to abandon the users.  I hope they figure things out,
> because it's been a painful few years because of the recent trends.  I'm
> surprised at how much grief some of these projects have caused to linux
> users as a whole, but it's like they are ignoring their constituents.
> Linux.  I fight for the users ;-) (tron reference)
>>
>> But you are right that systemd is not the only reason. KDE 4, GNOME 3,
>> FF[1], the list goes on, and recently even gtk+ 2.24.23+ (IIRC the
>> revision) is slightly broken. Guess I finally lost faith in the Linux
>> as desktop. I hope, for all of you, that Xfce 5 will be just fine.
> I'm also happy to hear someone reiterate my disgruntlement with GNOME
> 3.  One small glimmer of hope is that Ubuntu Mate
> <https://ubuntu-mate.org/> is emerging to fill that nostalgic gap.
> Unfortunately, I don't know if they are doing anything with systemd, as
> it will still be based on Ubuntu, but at least I get my sane interfaces
> back without having to switch to Xfce :-/  They are even packaging
> compiz, which much of linux practically abandoning it has been another
> sore spot for me, although that could be blamed on GNOME 3 partly as
> well for going to Mutter.  Now if only I could convince them to package
> Emerald window decorator.  I miss 2007 linux ;-)
>
> I especially like these points in Ubuntu Mate's mission:
>
>   * *Restore the halcyon days of Ubuntu* before Unity
>     <https://unity.ubuntu.com/> (I would add GNOME 3 here) was introduced.
>   * Provide a *refuge* for Linux users who prefer a traditional desktop
>     metaphor.

It's weird you (and others) seem to dismiss XFCE while citing this as a
goal. I've been using Xubuntu for nearly as long as I've been using
Linux and it's been a great distro+DE configuration; familiar, painless,
configurable, minimal, few bugs, each distro upgrade goes super smooth,
and otherwise the whole thing stays out of the way.

P.S. I have my fingers crossed Ubuntu will shield me from this systemd
brouhaha I keep hearing about :)