[Geany-Devel] Windows GTK Runtime 2.24 and config directory

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Sep 1 22:23:40 UTC 2014

On 01/09/14 01:25, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 14-08-31 07:38 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:

>>> Attached is a function that works standalone, it could drop into the
>>> previous patch where the untested/working function was. I have only
>>> tested on WinXP. If you don't feel like putting it together manually, I
>>> can eventually commit it all together properly once I figure out my
>>> build system issues.
>>
>> Tested on Windows 7:
>>
>> I had to change the function to its multibyte variant:
>>
>> SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW
>>

> That's the wide character variant, the ASCII one is the A function. You
> should be able to just use the non-char-specific one as long as we're
> telling the Win32 API we're using the wide API (I assumed we were since
> I saw other code in win32.c using wide characters). You need to #define
> UNICODE or _UNICODE (I always forget) before including "windows.h" to
> make it work normally/automagically.

Nice to know, thanks.
So far we used the wide character variants explicitly in src/win32.c at
some places and the default of some functions on the rest.
Though at least for those places I wrote, there was no particular reason
apart from getting it to work.

> Attached is the header I always use to wrap up the Win32 API
> include/defining weirdness that seems to "just work" with Unicode
> without any fuss.

Maybe we can incorporate this into Geany src/win32.c at some point but
probably in a separate step, this would get too big for this change I guess.

>> Otherwise it spat out compiler warnings and the resulting config
>> directory was:
>>
>>   㩃啜敳獲敜牮捩屯灁䑰瑡屡潒浡湩屧g旄
>>
>> :).
>>

>> Additionally, I had to add the flag CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE so that the
>> ...\Roaming\geany folder is created initially if it doesn't exist yet.
>> Without that flag, SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW() would fail if the folder
>> doesn't exist.
>
> That should be fine I would think. I just assumed other Geany code dealt
> with creating it.

Geany would create it later but without the CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE the
SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW() would error out if the directory doesn't
exit and so Geany wouldn't continue.