[Geany-Devel] Linkage-Cleanup Build System Breakage

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 26 23:16:03 UTC 2014

On 26/10/14 18:25, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 14-10-26 07:14 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I don't really know enough about Waf to fix it. Since it needs Python
>>> anyway, we could just use one of its XML libraries to grab the names
>>> from the GtkBuilder file, and do the replacements using its
>>> text-handling functions. It wouldn't require sed/sort utils. I
>>> originally had a Python script[3] doing this, but I'm just not sure how
>>> to integrate that code into Waf.
>>
>> I' work on the Waf part but this will take at least two weeks as I'm
>> almost not on the PC during the next two weeks.
>>

> OK.

I got a very basic working version, see attachment.
However, I almost didn't test it and things like library versioning are
missing.
As said, the rest will take some time.

>>> If the Win32 Nightlies break it will most likely be trivial changes to
>>> the Makefile.ams. I don't have an environment like it uses to test.
>>
>> The Win32 nightlies are built using Waf, so fixing Waf will fix it all
>> :).
>>

> I thought the nightlies were using Mingw because there's all those
> duplicate code paths in the Makefile.ams for Mingw. Who uses those?

We added those years ago to support cross-compilation. IIRC this was
before Waf.
Yeah, we really should consolidate the available build systems and clean
up the rest :).
I don't use autotools based cross-compilation.

>>> Geany-Plugins Autotools should be fine since it will pickup the new
>>
>> I checked out codebrainz/wip/linkage-cleanup but got build errors with
>> autotools:
>>
>> -----------snip-------------
>> tm_source_file.c:31:60: fatal error: ../src/pluginexport.h: No such file
>> or directory
>>   #include "../src/pluginexport.h" /* for GEANY_API_SYMBOL */
>>                                                              ^
>> compilation terminated.
>> Makefile:490: recipe for target 'tm_source_file.lo' failed
>>
>> src/pluginexport.h seems missing?
>>

> Oops, I had this file ignored locally for some reason. I squashed it
> into the correct commit and force pushed it. It should be OK now.

Thanks, it builds fine now.