[Geany-Devel] [RFC]: Public API comments in headers

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 29 15:01:07 UTC 2014

On 30 May 2014 00:46, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

>>> Its neater to have them in the public .h file sure, but I suggest that
>>> they are going to be less likely to be kept up to date that way.  Most
>>> of the editing happens in the .c files (I don't even open the .h much
>>> of the time) so the doxygen comments in headers become out of sight,
>>> out of mind.
>>

>> Agree, that's an important reason. Another benefit is less rebuilding
>> due to header file changes.
>>

> It's unclear if you're actually against $topic or just pointing out more
> reason for keeping the public API comments private.
>
> FWIW, the first point will/would be somewhat offset by the fact that public
> functions could/would have G_MODULE_EXPORT (or we could make some macro like
> GEANY_API_EXPORT or such for readability) to remind that a public function
> is being edited and there's sure to be a comment to edit as well. What's
> more, it's actually not that hard to always in all cases open a single
> header file and check if you broke the public API/docs, compared to all the
> other stuff required to making changes.

It just needs a comment on the implementation of the API functions.

The need for an API specific macro is a separate technical thing, in
this case the purpose is to provide information to those pesky
livewares so a comment is fine. :)

Just define a snippet with the comment /* API function */ or similar
and paste it just before cutting the doxygen comment for
transplantation.