[Geany-Devel] [RFC]: Public API comments in headers

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun May 25 23:50:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

As part of working on cleaning up the exposed API to plugins I got to
thinking about where our comments are located. While it's nice to keep
the API-documentation-comments right at the definitions of the functions
in their respective .c source files, since we only install the headers
as a public reference (not even the plugin API docs IIUC), should we not
move the API-documentation-comments, that we already diligently ensure
exist and are fairly complete, into the headers where they are
accessible to plugin developers?

If we moved to having public headers that just included actual public
symbols, I think it would be advantageous to have those headers totally
commented/documented rather than requiring the user to download Geany's
source code and cross-reference functions in it to access the
comments/docs, or getting hold of the generated Doxygen API documentation.

Does anyone feel really strongly about this?