[Geany-Devel] RFC: Proxy plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 19 11:13:22 UTC 2014

On 19 May 2014 19:58, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 14-05-18 10:10 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> 2. the effort to incorporate it into the existing PM.
>>

> I don't think this will be very difficult, even from me who loathes
> GtkTreeView :)
>

>> IIUC Thomas' proposal would use the existing methods so it doesn't
>> require any changes in these areas.
>>

> But it requires writing own libpeas (ie. scanners,

Unless I have misunderstood Thomas (have I?) he is using the existing scanner.

>loaders+runtimes,

again existing

> +gobject-introspection-bindings, etc).

As said in my previous post, bindings have nothing to do with the loader.

The main difference between the two options is that libpeas can
provide loaders for new languages simply (as shown by Matthew loading
Python3) but at the cost of having to integrate something very
different to the current system, whereas Thomas' proposal is a simple
extension of the existing system to fix Geanypy problems but doesn't
offer loading of any extra languages without further effort.

To my mind both approaches have their good points, and both have their
downsides.

As I said before, I am not able to pick a best solution at this point.

To my mind the important question is "how hard is it to change Geany
to allow libpeas loaded plugins to register keybindings?"  with the
secondary question of the PM as well (its more the interface from peas
to the PM code than the treeview, since it has to work with existing
plugins as well).  If those potential problems are solved then libpeas
may provide a faster path to more languages, though only C (so C++ &
Vala I guess), Python, javascript and something called seed are
currently available.  I would really like to know what plans there are
for others?