[Geany-Devel] Geany/plugins win32 waf build/install

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun May 18 13:30:21 UTC 2014

On 16/05/14 18:41, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested $subject again with 1.24, and it's improved significantly.
> Geany now installs geany.pc and the development headers properly, so
> the plugins build without problems. The plugin installation, however,
> creates a \lib directory on the installation drive, with all
> lib<pluginname>.dll.a files, which is completely pointless. It was the
> same with 1.23, but I forgot to mention it.

I know, already noticed it before 1.23, but to be honest, I just don't care.

> The prefix problem is workarounded. Since geany.pc is installed in
> \geany\path\lib\pkgconfig now, win32 pkg-config automatically
> uses /geany/path, replacing \ with / and ignoring the prefix setting.
> If you move geany.pc into \geany\path\lib, as in 1.23, the setting
> becomes used, and you'll quickly see "geanypathinclude: no such file
> or directory" on build. Unfortunately, waf does the opposite of
> pkg-config, replacing / with \, so --prefix=/geany/path does not help.
> But the installation works, since it's done by waf, and the plugins
> don't care (AFAIK) what slashes are used on runtime.

Not sure whether I completely understand the problem here.

I'll post soon a tutorial how I build the release binaries on Windows.
Apart from this, the whole build stuff on Windows is quite fiddled and I
never considered it production-ready.

Sorry.