[Geany-Devel] RFC: Proxy plugins

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Sat May 10 19:56:30 UTC 2014

Am 10.05.2014 21:06, schrieb Dimitar Zhekov:
>> After that I'd say that LibPeas is perhaps something to be considered
>> for new application but not for our existing codebase. I think we want
>> something that enables proxy plugins while maintaining API and ABI
>> stability.
> peas does does you describe, and provides build-in loaders for Python
> 2/3 and JavaScript, i.e. standard languages. Please don't throw it away
> before even trying to adapt it.

As you have mentioned, even for C plugins it's a major change, and it
requires a lot of changes to Geany (doesn't it?).

So why adapt peas when it requires a lot of changes *too* but also
severely breaks plugin API?

I must be missing something, but it essence it appears to me that
adapting peas requires no less effort than what I propose (it's not
actually that much new code, just a lot of refactoring) but also implies
a major plugin API breakage (while my proposal can be implemented
without API breakage).

Best regards