[Geany-Devel] RFC: Proxy plugins

Steven Blatnick steve8track at xxxxx
Fri May 9 18:14:32 UTC 2014

Like I think Dimitar was saying, adding custom scripts sound like they
should be second class plugins.

Sorry to be a broken record here, but my external tools plugin calls
whatever language you can make an executable for or call from the
command line:
https://github.com/sblatnick/geany-plugins/tree/external-tools/external-tools/src

I don't see the need for bindings for every language to tap into plugin
functionality when you can call scripts and accept the scripts output
with some accepted criteria, kinda like an API or like my plugin does.
For instance, external-tools lets you output a program to the bottom
panel or substitute currently selected text in geany, etc.  While this
limits the methods the plugin can interact, it supports an easy input
and easy output logic.

I haven't been following the entire thread, and I don't mean to come
across as continuously advertising my own plugin, but it seems to me
that you are discussing integrating other languages to the plugin
structure.  In my opinion, this plugin already does that to a limited
extent, but to an extent that meets my needs as I'm not looking to tweak
UI from the plugin.

Just as I think Dimitar was saying, I don't think we want to overly
complicate plugins because of wanting to support "everything" or every
language for plugins.  I hope changes to how we do plugins don't break
existing plugins too much, as that was one of the reasons I left gedit.
It's annoying rewriting plugins because of the changes.

Thanks,

Steve