[Geany-Devel] 'shiftcolumn' plugin - keyboard shortcut conflict

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Mar 25 23:12:27 UTC 2014

On 26 March 2014 09:33, Shankhoneer Chakrovarty <shankhoneer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 'shiftcolumn' is one of the orphaned plugin which I have decided to work on.
> shiftcolumn's default shortcut key to move the selected text to right is
> <Primary>0 which conflicts with "Zoom reset", making the plugin useless to
> move the text right unless for every move the user clicks Tools->Shift
> Right. Shift left is done by <Primary>9 key which is working fine.
>
> Also, this plugin doesnt have its plugin preferences dialog box.
>
> I was planning to change the default shortcut key for the aforementioned
> behavior of the plugin to <Primary>8 which AFAIK doesnt conflict with
> anything.
>
> Do you guys think its a good idea? What should I do to prevent such problems
> to arise in future?

It is actually preferable that plugins do not have default keybindings.

It is not known what combination plugins will be loaded and so it is
not known what combination of keybindings might clash, and it is not
known what keybindings a user might define themselves that can clash.

So I would recommend that default keybindings be removed from plugins.