[Geany-Devel] Looking for features for a SQL plugin

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Mar 25 21:35:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:45:21 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I guess for my vision of this sort of database development UI tool I
> am channelling my secret shameful past use of Microsoft Access, whilst
> lots of it was bad, some of its interactive stuff was kind of useful
> :)

Well, this is something at least /me will not build ;)

> >> Editable if supported by the underlying database, what about
> >> creating tables as well?
> >
> > CREATE TABLE "foo";
> > should be not too complicated for everyone in first step IMHO.
>
> Ummm, I was thinking of defining the columns too :)  and for use
> during development it would be nice if it did the drop and re-create
> if the table already existed, or modified the columns if supported by
> the particular database.  And maybe transferred the existing contents
> too :)

Puh. This sounds like a huge thing to be done. But well... should be
possible some time.

> >> Which is where outputting to the edit buffer helps, save means
> >> commit changes?
> >
> > Well... This is something, I was thinking of not having -- at least
> > on versions. I just don't think it's needed to often by a
> > developer. And everyone else could use pgadmin/phpmyadmin/*
>
> Well, you did ask for suggestions :)
>
> Anyway XXXadmin are specific tools, following on from Stevens comment,
> the Geany tools should be database independent.  And editing data to
> correct the update you just tried would be useful.

Yes.

> >> In current Geany thats best handled as a subprocess, which is also
> >> a good way of handling multi-database configurability, just run the
> >> command for the particular database.
> >
> > I second that there should be a blocking UI when running a query --
> > by using the geany api it should be not often the issue anymore.
>
> Well, good luck Frank, IIUC we can't even make modal dialogs block (at
> least on Unity and KDE :)

It depends where you are doing what ;)
But yepp, ongoing topic.

> PS what about no-SQL databases, yeah I want everything ;-)

Well.... even this mail is noSQL-database, right? ....