[Geany-Devel] Looking for features for a SQL plugin

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Mar 24 20:46:49 UTC 2014

On 25 March 2014 03:12, Steven Blatnick <steve8track at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wrote an sql plugin for gedit a while back which was based on my
> experience with Microsoft's SQL client.  Basically the approach I took, and
> I think this would work for geany as well, was:
>
> Manage various connections to databases and allow switching between the
> connections - the connection is global to geany (Actually, I think my first
> plugin only allowed one connection, and later when I tried to remake the
> plugin for gedit3, I allowed multiple connections to be managed)
> Run queries from any open document by highlighting them and using some
> keyboard shortcut and/or button

IMO it would be better if the query was copied to an editable
(pane/entry) since whenever I have sql in code it usually has part of
the query generated by code and this would need interpolating for the
query to make sense at edit time.

> Display the results in a scrollable gtk table in the bottom pane.  This was
> especially beneficial as the ASCII presentation from the command line is
> hard to see when it starts wrapping.

Or a separate editor buffer??

> That would be a reasonable minimum.  We could extend it from there to:
>
> Show tables in the current database on the side panel, expandable to show
> the columns

Editable if supported by the underlying database, what about creating
tables as well?

> Allow editing of the cells in the table output

Which is where outputting to the edit buffer helps, save means commit changes?

> Some further thoughts:
>
> I used SQLAlchemy for my gedit plugin (it was in python) because it allowed
> connecting to various SQL databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc
> If there is a way to make the output in a table on a separate thread to not
> lock the UI, that would be good for larger result sets.  We could at least
> create some optional built in limit of how many results.
> A way to kill the query in progress would be good

In current Geany thats best handled as a subprocess, which is also a
good way of handling multi-database configurability, just run the
command for the particular database.