[Geany-Devel] Looking for features for a SQL plugin
steve8track at xxxxx
Mon Mar 24 16:12:04 UTC 2014
I wrote an sql plugin for gedit a while back which was based on my
experience with Microsoft's SQL client. Basically the approach I took,
and I think this would work for geany as well, was:
1. Manage various connections to databases and allow switching between
the connections - the connection is global to geany (Actually, I
think my first plugin only allowed one connection, and later when I
tried to remake the plugin for gedit3, I allowed multiple
connections to be managed)
2. Run queries from any open document by highlighting them and using
some keyboard shortcut and/or button
3. Display the results in a scrollable gtk table in the bottom pane.
This was especially beneficial as the ASCII presentation from the
command line is hard to see when it starts wrapping.
That would be a reasonable minimum. We could extend it from there to:
1. Show tables in the current database on the side panel, expandable to
show the columns
2. Allow editing of the cells in the table output
Some further thoughts:
1. I used SQLAlchemy for my gedit plugin (it was in python) because it
allowed connecting to various SQL databases such as MySQL,
2. If there is a way to make the output in a table on a separate thread
to not lock the UI, that would be good for larger result sets. We
could at least create some optional built in limit of how many results.
3. A way to kill the query in progress would be good
On 03/24/2014 06:25 AM, Federico Reghenzani wrote:
> do you think a simple text console (as mysql cli client) or some kind
> of graphics?
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de
> <mailto:frank at frank.uvena.de>> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> A often wished feature at our boothes at e.g. Chemnitzer Linux
> Tage were
> to have some kind of a SQL plugin for Geany, supporting executing
> queries at the database.
> As I'm also looking for something like this, I'm wondering what do you
> think such a plugin should be able to do in some global view. I don't
> think we will be able to build up another MySQLWorkbench or PGAdmin --
> and this is also not my goal for a Geany plugin -- but most likley
> than an execution of queries might would be useful.
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.geany.org <mailto:Devel at lists.geany.org>
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.geany.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Devel