[Geany-Devel] Win32 color chooser dialog removal, concerning the Pull Request #215

Steven VALSESIA steven.valsesia at xxxxx
Thu Mar 6 07:18:45 UTC 2014

> IMO, it should follow the "use_win32_native_dialogs" (or whatever)
> preference at least, like the other native win32 dialogs. But, I see no
> point in completely removing it while leaving all the other win32 native
> dialogs in there, it seems kind of an arbitrary change.

I follow that setting, but it's UI names isn't good, so I made a PR.
(I admit, I find the native's one horrible, it's kind of arbitrary change
^^).
But let the user choose is the best thing we can make happen !

> @Steven: the reason for the native win32 dialogs is simply that people
> requested it. And I think it's not that bad in general to have native
> dialogs while it is also good to have GTK dialogs which are also
> somewhat native, just to GTK.
> It's just the win32 API which is horrible.

Who requested that ? :D
Yes, I admit that let the user choose is the best thing to do.

> That was also my first though, but the setting we have, although named
> "use_native_windows_dialogs" is only used for save/open dialogs, and the
> preference in the UI says "Use Windows open/save dialog".  So either
> this setting has to change meaning, an new one has to be added, or we
> cant use one.

Yesterday I made 2 Pull request :

One for changing the UI string "Use Windows open/save dialog" to "Use
Windows native dialogs" :
https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/219

The other let the user choose between "native" Win32 color chooser, or the
Gtk's one, depending of use_native_windows_dialogs :
https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/218

For the decision of putting the color chooser in a plugin, unfornatly, I
think it would be feel a kind od regression by the user.
We don't know why people like geany, this is why IMO " " "regression" " "
is dangerous.

Thanks to all of you for your interest !