[Geany-Devel] Spellcheck plugin doesn't work with enchant

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 2 11:34:52 UTC 2014

On 02/03/14 08:33, Development wrote:
> Greetings, all,
>  I'm working with Geany 1.23.1, and am hoping to make Geany my only editor/ide.
> However, I can't do that, unless/until it provides spellcheck functionality.
> Currently, I'm forced to open one of my other editors, in order to accomplish that.
> That siad;
>  I'm on a FreeBSD/amd64 box. Source for it is current (3 days old).
> Geany version 1.23.1, I don't know if the spellcheck has a version, but the version
> of Enchant is: 1.6.02. I see there were some problems with it on Windows, but I

I'm using 1.6.0 on Linux without problems.

> see no reason to think that applies here. I have gone to great lengths to make
> the plugin work. I installed every single engine into Enchant that Enchant supports;
> ASPELL,HSPELL,HUNSPELL,ISPELL,ZEMBEREK. They are ALL currently installed. But
> Geany emits:
>
> The Enchant library couldn't be initialized (unknown error
> (maybe the chosen language is not available)).
>
> and provides no option to choose the desired engine. FWIW, my choice would be
> Ispell, and en/us.
> Any thoughts on how I might overcome this problem?

Could you try on the command line the following command:

# enchant-lsmod

to check if Enchant knows its engines? This command should output a few
engines installed on the system (e.g. "hspell (Hspell Provider)").

And please try:

# echo "hllo" | enchant -a -d en_US

that should output a list of alternative spellings for "hllo".

And could you check what is configured as "language" in the config file
~/.config/geany/plugins/spellcheck/spellcheck.conf