[Geany-Devel] Spellcheck plugin doesn't work with enchant

Development development at xxxxx
Sun Mar 2 07:33:43 UTC 2014

Greetings, all,
 I'm working with Geany 1.23.1, and am hoping to make Geany my only editor/ide.
However, I can't do that, unless/until it provides spellcheck functionality.
Currently, I'm forced to open one of my other editors, in order to accomplish that.
That siad;
 I'm on a FreeBSD/amd64 box. Source for it is current (3 days old).
Geany version 1.23.1, I don't know if the spellcheck has a version, but the version
of Enchant is: 1.6.02. I see there were some problems with it on Windows, but I
see no reason to think that applies here. I have gone to great lengths to make
the plugin work. I installed every single engine into Enchant that Enchant supports;
ASPELL,HSPELL,HUNSPELL,ISPELL,ZEMBEREK. They are ALL currently installed. But
Geany emits:

The Enchant library couldn't be initialized (unknown error
(maybe the chosen language is not available)).

and provides no option to choose the desired engine. FWIW, my choice would be
Ispell, and en/us.
Any thoughts on how I might overcome this problem?

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris