[Geany-Devel] Code review for feature #683

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Mar 1 22:35:31 UTC 2014

On 2 March 2014 01:00, Steven VALSESIA <steven.valsesia at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1. is it necessary to remove the reference to gthread-2.0 in the
>> makefile for your changes? If not then make that a separate change
>> with its justification. Never hide unrelated changes inside other
>> changes.
>
> Ok, I'll take care of that in the future.
>

>> 2. Since you have added a preference setting it needs to be documented.
>
> I'll check the doc to know how to doc the doc, because I don't know what
> you're talking about :)

http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#save-actions note the
source is rest in doc/geany.txt

>> The method suggested by Dimitar will still block, but not until the UI
>> has become idle, so hopefully it will be less apparent to users.
>
> A plugin_idle_add(func) won't create latency ?

Not in the UI, which is what the user sees, because it waits until the
UI is idle to do the potentially slow thing.

> Maybe I can create a gtk_thread ?

Access to the Scintilla buffer is not thread safe, so you can't simply
run the existing save code in a separate thread. If it was that simple
we would have done it ages ago :)