[Geany-Devel] Geany with gtk+ 3.6.4 under Windows

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Jun 22 10:43:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 19:27:16 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Le 21/06/2014 11:48, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
> > [...]
> >
> > With gtk+3, pressing "down" to scroll in a source file gives CPU usage
> > of 50% (that is, 100% on a single cores), and the scrolling is a bit
> > jumpy. For reference, gtk+2 uses 22% CPU, and SciTE for Win32 only 9%
> > (due to the fact is uses Win32 API directly).
>
> I just stumbled upon
> http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2013/11/04/the-modern-gtk-drawing-model/
> which seems to say that with GTK 3.8+ widgets doing scrolling "the old
> way" (e.g. the GTK < 3.8 way) will likely be just slow, as IIUC the old
> optimization for it was dropped.

But the binary used is 3.6.4, so that's not the cause.

BTW, gtk+2 scrolling is buggy: if there is a window above the text,
it's "scrolled" as well. For example, with a Find dialog and scrolling
down, it's title is duplicated N times above of the dialog. The non-gtk
windows are affected as well, for example Win~1 Task Manager, which is
on Top of the other windows by default. I'm beginning to suspect how
the gtk+2 scrolling under Win~1 works. :) The first full redraw of the
scintilla widget fixes everything, so it's not much of a problem.

I won't check anything else on the $subject until an official Win~1
binary with the new drawing model is released, it's simply not worth.

--
E-gards: Jimmy