[Geany-Devel] Geany with gtk+ 3.6.4 under Windows

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Jun 21 17:22:43 UTC 2014

Le 18/06/2014 20:09, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:34:22 -0700
> Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 14-06-17 09:28 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>>> 4. The second and especially the third tab in the About dialog cause
>>> 100% CPU load and blocking.
>>>

>> IIRC we have some weird stuff in those tabs, custom wrapping widgets
>> which are no longer needed for GTK3, etc.

Actually, GeanyWrapLabel is still required with GTK3, because although
GtkLabel is somewhat supposed to do it, it actually doesn't.  You can
make it wrap dynamically by setting the character-width property, but
that won't event really do what you want, apparently the label will
still request the minimal size for it to display when wrapped at that
size, and then will be too tall if wrapper to something larger.

>> Even on Linux the "Credits"
>> tab is fairly broken, it doesn't allow selection, context menu, etc.

That's not really "broken", it's just a bunch of labels.  But yeah we
could make those selectable if we wanted.

>> IMO
>> we should move this whole dialog to Glade, just use a plain GtkTextView
>> and add all the names into the Glade file instead of loading from static
>> arrays and doing all the markup formatting using string/markup
>> functions, etc or just use GtkAboutDialog (properly).
>
> The second tab is mostly two labels with markup, and the third is
> exactly a GtkTextView, which is disturbing for my Scope plugin.

I fixed something in the about dialog header with GTK 3.8+, that might
have been the cause of the CPU usage you saw.  On Linux it used to eat
some CPU, and emit tons of warnings (probably like 1 each 4 clock tick,
which is probably like 15 a second).

Regards,
Colomban