[Geany-Devel] RFC: Keybindings rewrite

Yosef Or Boczko yoseforb at xxxxx
Tue Jun 10 11:31:31 UTC 2014

בתאריך ג', יונ 10, 2014 בשעה 2:06 PM, Thomas Martitz
<kugel at rockbox.org> כתב:
> Am 10.06.2014 00:36, schrieb Yosef Or Boczko:
> >

> > Regards,
> > Yosef Or Boczko
> > בתאריך ג', יונ 10, 2014 בשעה 12:54 AM, Thomas Martitz
> > <kugel at rockbox.org> כתב:

> Martitz >
> >> <kugel at rockbox.org> כתב:
> (GtkAction
> >> GTK+ 4),

> some
> when

> occurs
> >> in >> Geany as well? Geany's approach to keybindings is most
> trivial
> >> (at >> it's core it does if (keyval == $KEY && modifier ==
> >> $MODIFIER)). Gtk >> cannot do worse, so I expect it to have
> something
> >> more smart (or be >> equally dumb). So it sounds unlikely that Gtk
> >> has a locale-related >> problem that Geany does not.

> (the >
> >> accels totem handle
> gnome-shell.

> >> So the keybings totem does by hand don't work but those that are
> >> handled by Gtk/Glib do work? And what about gnome-shell. It's all
> >> Gtk3 so I'd expect it to use GAction.
> >
> > I found for you an example in the code for totem.
> >
> > - Ctrl+F to switch the search bar dosn't work when the keywoard
> layout
> > in Hebrew
> > (note you need in the code to by the hand both Ctrl+F and Ctrl+f):
> > https://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/src/totem-grilo.c#n1634
> >
> > - Ctrl+A to select all work when the keywoard layout in Hebrew:
> > https://git.gnome.org/browse/totem/tree/src/totem-grilo.c#n2206
> >

> So, what you are saying is that if you match keys manually, as totem
> does in the first example, you get bugs with non-latin keyboards.
> This
> is what Geany does currently.
>
> The second example shows that if you use Gtk APIs/accelerators these
> problems can be avoided.
>

> So, from my understanding, the proposed rewrite would make things
> work
> better (not worse) under non-latin keyboards.

Yeah, somthing like this.
Just, as I understand, GtkAction not use GtkKeyHash, so it dosn't work
on
non-Lating layout.

> >> What about current Geany?
>

> Why do you avoid this question?

IIRC, from time to time I see some accels in Geany broken in non-Latin
layout, but I not sure which accels, because part of them work
currently.
Also in epiphany, part of the accels still work in non-Latin layout. it
very
strange, I must to say.

Regards,
Yosef Or Boczko