[Geany-Devel] RFC: Keybindings rewrite

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Jun 7 23:34:28 UTC 2014

On 14-06-07 03:35 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 06/06/2014 16:17, Thomas Martitz a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> based up on Matthew's fine GtkActions branch [1]
>
> We probably should not define the actions in the Glade file but rather
> in the code, they aren't really a UI thing but should reflect what the
> app can do basically.  Basically it's rather a replacement for our
> send_command() rather than simply keybindings.

IMO it's much better to use something declarative for this than to write
it in code. Even though XML is kind of ugly, it's still more
maintainable/easier/etc than C, especially since Glade supports
creating/editing/assigning the actions through it's user interface.

Originally I was going to create a whole separate GtkBuilder file (ex.
actions.xml or such) for actions, but then you loose the possibility to
select the actions for the various widgets using Glade's user interface
(unless I missed how to make it understand two files at once).

I don't really think it's a big deal having them in the main GtkBuilder
file, I mean they are *UI* actions used to control the appearance and
proxy the behaviour of *UI* widgets already in the same file with other
stuff like list models for the UI, etc.