[Geany-Devel] Proxy Plugins Update

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Jul 9 17:40:20 UTC 2014

On 14-07-09 10:01 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 20:16:49 +0200
> Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:
>
>> My whole libpeas fork is (currently) imported into the geany repo so
>> it's a bit academic.
>
> I'd like to have a libpeas fork, or at least our own copy of the
> library (the code is actually quite small). The latest libpeas
> requires glib/gobject/gmodule/gio all >= 2.30, and the Debian package
> even has gtk+3 as requirement because of libpeas-gtk, which is actually
> optional and will not be used in Geany.

You could use that point to recommend forking all of our dependencies,
for example the latest GLib/GObject/GModule/GIO is >= 2.30 too, the
latest GTK+ is 3.12 and requires GLib >= 2.39, the latest Pango requires
GLib >= 2.32. We can't fork everything :)

IMO, it'd be better just to depend on an older version than the latest
like we do for everything else, and maybe open a bug report for the
Debian package if it wrongly makes libpeas depend on libpeas-gtk instead
of the other way around.

If I understand correctly, libpeas backends are pluggable/modules that
do not need to be hardcoded into core either, so there's no too much
incentive to keep our own fork/modified copy for that purpose, IMO.

My $0.02