[Geany-Devel] Syntax highlighting, folding, etc for a "new" language.

Larry Bradley yahoo.stz9z at xxxxx
Wed Jan 29 16:37:05 UTC 2014

Greetings from a newbie.

I've been using Geany for a few years as a general editor under Ubuntu.

I'm into program development for Microchip PIC processors, and have
recently started using a programming language called "Jal".
Jal is a Pascal-like language, but the syntax is different enough that
telling Geany to use the Pascal highlighter does not work.

I have the geany 1.23 source, and I've actually make some changes to the
VHDL scintilla lexer and filetypes.vHDL to handle folding and syntax
highlighting properly.

However, I would like to do a better job of supporting Jal. In
particular, I would like the symbol tree to be able to show the
variables and constants defined in a Jal program. Using the VHDL
filetype, Geany shows the functions and procedures (I did nothing to
cause this to happen), but not the variables.

Only some filetypes actually display variables. Basic, for example,
does, while Pascal does not.

I've no problems with making changes to the Geany code, but I've no idea
where to start with the display of variables and constants. The
scintilla lexers that I've seen, and the scintilla documentation do not
make it really obvious how one writes a lexer.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the proper direction
- what pieces of code should I be looking at?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

--
Larry Bradley
Orleans (Ottawa) Canada