[Geany-Devel] Compiler tab suggestions

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Jan 19 19:52:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:34:01 +0200
Arthur Rosenstein <artros.misc at gmail.com> wrote:

> > utils.c:643:33: error: expected ')' before 'xxx'
> >
> > Double click on the message: seeks to the first 'x', Geany status
> > bar shows line 643, column 43 (column # depends on the tab size).
> >
> > But it *does* seek to 'а' if "боза" is locale.
>
> Indeed, my bad. You're not treating "column numbers" as column numbers
> but rather UTF-8 byte offsets. That's definitely more common, but not
> universal still.

A truly universal solution should take into account whether the compiler
emits utf-8 columns (java?/net?/python3?), or what is the file locale +
whether the compiler takes into account the system locale + what is the
system locale. Geany sets the GLib I/O channel encoding to NULL "safe
to use with binary data", so at least that should not have any effect.

> > echo "test.py:7: E202 whitespace before ']'" |
> > egrep '([^:]+):([0-9]+):([0-9]+):|([^:]+):([0-9]+): '
> > test.py:7: E202 whitespace before ']'

> Did you actually test it? You're using g_match_info_fetch() to read the
> submatches of the first three *capture groups*. Those are indexed
> independently of the string you're trying to match. So, even though the
> pattern does match the error message in the file:line case, you're
> reading the source-location info from the capture groups that didn't
> match anything.

No, I assumed that Geany works as documented, and reads the first two
matches. Looking at regex(1), it probably worked like that before
switching to GRegex.

> Note that in this case the solution is simple enough:
> "([^:]+):([0-9]+)(?::([0-9]+))?: ", but the general limitation is
> still there.

It's not a limitation, but a bug in the current regex parser. We
should either document that the first two capturing groups are used,
no matter if they match, or skip the non-matching groups (which is
quite easy). After that, P11 can be updated - fixing the regex parser
is outside it's scope.

--
E-gards: Jimmy