[Geany-Devel] Compiler tab suggestions

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 13 21:17:45 UTC 2014

On 14 January 2014 04:55, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:16:26 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12 January 2014 11:17, Steven Blatnick <steve8track at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My external-tools plugin takes file paths and opens them like a blue
> link
> > > in a webpage. The output is in a textarea-like instead of those table
> tree
> > > structures. Maybe if the compiler pane output to a text buffer like
> that,
> > > then maybe fonts would help. My plugin uses a monospaced font. (See
> > > github.com/sblatnick/geany-plugins external-tools branch and
> directory).
> > >

> > Havn't tried your plugin, but like the the idea of using gtk_text_view
> > widgets with file/line/column references text marked as links (instead of
> > the gtktreeview and click on the whole line we use now).
>
> Currently, single click or space positions you at the error/warning,
> and double click/enter positions and focuses the editor. That's not
> reproducible with a single link.

Text tags (such as one causing a piece of text to be underlined in blue)
can catch double clicks (event GDK_2_BUTTON_PRESS), just its not usually
handled by apps.  Or possibly with a different compiler window the paradigm
could change with single click the link focussing the destination just like
clicking links in browsers that open in new tabs.  Show line (without
focussing) could then be in the right mouse menu for the link.

> > This would also mean that text can be copied from the view (a regular
> > issue/request).
>
> Right click -> Copy, Copy All. Though it may be better to have multiple
> selection for copying and use the cursor row for document positioning.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, yes, you can't copy part of a line or multiple
lines.

> > The text view (when its not user editable as we would use it) is also
> less
> > complicated than the tree view, and IIUC faster to add lines to, another
> > bugbear with the treeview.
>
> "Easier" as in "doesn't require/support structured data"? :)

Yep :)

(since the compiler/build output is sequential text and the only
"structure" is lines)