[Geany-Devel] Compiler tab suggestions

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Sat Jan 11 10:00:24 UTC 2014

Am 11.01.2014 10:35, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> Hi All,
>
> Two ideas for the Compiler tab open for consideration:
>
> 1) Since both C/C++ compilers (g++, clang++) now output little ^
> characters which are supposed to point to the place where they got
> confused, I suggest that the compiler tab use a (real) monospace font
> by default, so the ^ is in the intended place.

Not sure is the ^ really useful to us in geany? I'm not sure because
clicking on the line moves the editor to that location anyway.

> 2) After a compile, the tab should be scrolled back to the top since,
> AFAIK, most people clear up reported errors from the first to the last
> so they can identify and skip consequential errors caused by a prior
> compile error.

No, not to the top. If anything to the first error, but staying at the
bottom is just fine. Compiler errors usually happen at the end so if you
scroll to the top you might have to scroll all the way down again. This
might be a lot to scroll for large projects where hundreds of files
compiled successfully before the first error. FWIW, I usually fix
compile errors in no specific order (usually I fix the first line,
upwards from the bottom, where I can distinguish an error from a warning).

Best regards.