[Geany-Devel] suggestion: Renaming GProject to ProjectTree

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Dec 14 22:35:43 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 14-12-11 12:32 PM, Jiří Techet wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just pushed quite a few changes to my GProject plugin
>> (unfortunately in a single commit because I was making these changes
>> while working on the tag manager and it was too painful to rebase
>> multiple commits every time I changed the Geany API). If there are
>> some problems, please let me know.
>>
>> Before announcing the changes on the users mailing list, there's one
>> more change I'd like to make - make the plugin name a little more
>> descriptive so it's easier to find by users who are looking for a
>> plugin which displays a file tree in the sidebar. For this reason I'd
>> like to rename the plugin to ProjectTree.
>>
>> Please let me know if you have a better idea for the plugin name or if
>> you think renaming the plugin isn't a good idea.
>>

> "ProjectTree" only covers one part of the plugin. What about
> FilteredFileListAndAutoTagger? Or something like that, but shorter :)

Yeah, sounds really great :-). In fact, it should be
FilteredProjectFileTreeAndFileIndexerAndFileSearcherAndHeaderSourceSwapper,
in short FPFTAFIAFSAHSS - unfortunately the first is absurdly long and
the second isn't very descriptive.

I wanted to use the ProjectTree name because one of the questions at
Prague Linux Days was something like "I like Geany but I miss the
project file tree in the sidebar" and my plugin is an answer to this
(I think quite common) question.

> P.S. I found a bug in GProject where it keeps adding more and more tabs to
> the project dialog. If the GitHub Issues gets turned on for Geany-Plugins
> I'll open a bug report, if it's not fixed yet.

Ugh, I'm not aware of this one - how can I reproduce it? (Maybe try
the latest version from geany-plugins first, there have been many
changes.)

Cheers,

Jiri