[Geany-Devel] Windows GTK Runtime 2.24 and config directory

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 24 08:32:02 UTC 2014

Am 23.08.2014 um 02:26 schrieb Matthew Brush:
> On 14-08-22 11:23 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> lately, I started building a new Windows installer which includes a
>> recent GTK 2.24 runtime for Windows which need for future releases.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> - add some code to check if a config in <...>\Roaming exists and if so,
>> move it to <...>\Local
>>

>> I'd implement the last choice if there are no objections. This is not
>> nice because we implement again some magic "config directory move" code
>> but at least the user won't notice that GLib change.
>>

> Sounds fine to me, even just a one-time dialog telling the user about
> the change would be useful. Either way the code be put inside win32.c

Ok. I don't mind much.
I'd suggested to try to move the config directory and only if it doesn't
work to show a dialog.
I guess since we are deep in the Windows directory structure at this
stage, we can quite safely assume the Local directory exists if the
Roaming directory exists as well?

> and guarded with an #ifdef G_OS_WIN32 so it doesn't mess up unrelated
> source files.

Full ACK.

> FWIW, I don't think this is the first time the config directory moved.
> Even between WinXP and Windows7 the actual directory used had changed,
> causing a little confusion (for me at least).

Yeah and on non-Windows we had the change from ~/.geany to
~/.config/geany.Config directory changes suck.