[Geany-Devel] Windows GTK Runtime 2.24 and config directory

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Aug 22 18:23:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

lately, I started building a new Windows installer which includes a
recent GTK 2.24 runtime for Windows which need for future releases.

While most things went fine I noticed one problem:

GTK, in detail Glib, changed the way g_get_user_data_dir() works on Windows:
in older releases, something GLib 2.28 or 2.26 and older,
g_get_user_data_dir() returned c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming, in
newer GLib versions it returns c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local.

This affects users who already have a config directory located in
<...>\Roaming and Geany would look in <...>\Local now.

This is the change I'm talking about:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/glib/gutils.c?id=9d80c361418f94c609840ec9f83741aede7e482c

How do we want to handle this?

- continue using the <...>\Roaming directory (and so not using
g_get_user_data_dir() anymore)

- leave the code as it is, resulting in a new complete config for users

- add some code to check if a config in <...>\Roaming exists and if so,
move it to <...>\Local

I'd implement the last choice if there are no objections. This is not
nice because we implement again some magic "config directory move" code
but at least the user won't notice that GLib change.