[Geany-Devel] Plugin manager interface

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Apr 24 01:02:08 UTC 2014

On 24 April 2014 04:58, Pavel Roschin <roshin at scriptumplus.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> There are some inconveniences in current plugin manager window:
> - plugin description is too long and is hard to read because of window width
> - too many actions user need to perform to get access to plugin settings
> - no plugin search feature
> - too many windows: settings - window, keybindings - window, help - window
>
> I tried to make some sort of concept of plugin manager interface design. Maybe
> you will find it interesting:
> http://pbrd.co/1jBUM4f
>
> Alternative (move description to bottom):
> http://pbrd.co/1jBUOJh
>
> I offer:
> - add search field
> - remove unnecessary labels
> - remove plugin description from list
> - show plugin description as tooltip or show it in status bar

No, it has to be visible in the dialog, not disconnected in some other
bar somewhere else or only hidden until mouseover. But sure it could
be outside the list in the area of the author etc.

> - show plugin settings immediately
> - show plugin keybindings as tab where user can check keybindings _only_ for
>   this plugin
> - show help as a tab (of course there should be API for help window with rich
>   text, maybe show readme)
>
> Any suggestions?

A pull request?

PS apart from the one comment about the description, it sounds fine,
though I don't know if it will make *that* much difference to
usability.