[Geany-Devel] Any votes for a "Project-Tree" plugin?

Martin Andrews Martin.Andrews at xxxxx
Wed Apr 16 14:34:04 UTC 2014

I originally started programming on a Borland IDE, which allowed me to
place my projects files into a tree that was independent of their layout on
disk.

I became so attached to it, I helped reimplement similar functionality for
SciTE (scitepm).

(I'm not sure whether the attached picture will show up, but it illustrates
how I like to group, say the 'cloud' functionality together in a web
project, even though the elements of that functionality lie in 'templates',
' static/js', 'static/css', etc)

However, apparently SciTE isn't being updated in my distribution (Fedora),
and it would be better to have this functionality embedded in something
with forward motion - like Geany.

The functions that this would include are :
a)  Do a search upwards from the current directory for a suitable
'.geany/tree-project.conf'
b)  Load a tree of files from some YAML-like format on disk, and put them
in a side-bar tab
c)  Allow this tree to be edited (new sub-groups, add a file, delete a
file, etc)
d)  Save tree to disk (typically this wouldn't change much once a project
had stabilised - so the file could be put in git, for instance).  This
wouldn't include 'currently open' indicators, since they're more volatile.
e)  That's about it : Other tools look like they're already doing a great
job for file searching, etc.

If this already exists, please let me know : I don't want to reinvent the
wheel.

All the Best
Martin
:-)

PS:  tree-browser in current git looks like a good launching-off point,
structure-wise