[Geany-Devel] GeanyLaTeX segfault

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Apr 10 00:30:09 UTC 2014

On 14-04-09 01:15 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 23:57:49 +0400
> Pavel Roschin <roshin at scriptumplus.ru> wrote:

>>> I assume it only happens, when a TeX file having focus on closing? I
>>> think for some reasons, and this is what b4n also mention on IRC,
>>> devhelp is destroying/changing the doc-pointer at some point.
>>

>> Not sure. It happens even with empty (few *.c files) Geany. But who
>> knows what happens internally. I do not use Geany for TeX, so
>> probably it crashes without TeX documents (probably because I don't
>> remember all details). Currently I have all plugins disabled and
>> crashes didn't appear.
>
> I had some crash with devhelp at booth at CLT when I wanted to show
> somebody some feature. But wasn't able to reproduce. Maybe some timing
> thing?

Devhelp plugin shouldn't change document pointer, it only reparents the
document notebook into another notebook, but it doesn't change its name
and ui_lookup_widget() can still find it and such. Actually the concept
is mostly copied from SplitWindow plugin which does something quite
similar, so if you are running SplitWindow + Devhelp, I can almost
guarantee some problems (although it really shouldn't *crash*, but
rather spew assertion failures to terminal and just not work correctly).

The geanylatex bug I looked at from pastebin on IRC the other day looked
to me like Scintilla's notification was firing after the GeanyEditor,
GeanyDocument or GeanyFiletype was destroyed/re-used/whatever and it was
dereferencing a NULL or invalid pointer.