[Geany-Devel] Geany bug hunting week

Pavel Roschin roshin at xxxxx
Wed Apr 9 17:58:59 UTC 2014

Hello!

I tried to test Geany as much as possible to discover some issues before
release. There are many bugs so I placed them into one big GitHub Gist.

- geanylatex bug with symbol replace
- manu interface issues (see Gist)
- geanylatex at close segfault (see Gist for backtrace and IRC for
  investigation)
- shift column plugin doesn't work at all (orphaned plugin, but invalid plugin
  in release isn't good)
- GeanyPy/GeanyLua probably should list their plugins in the main plugin list
  (it's hard to use scripts). Also why not have python in core?

Some design issues:
- Adding plugin to Geany is very painful. Plugin creator should edit at least 14
  (!!!) files spaghettized through whole project to do that. Also plugin creator
  should know two build systems (automake and waf). Possible solution -
  "onefile.c" plugin and "magic" command e.g. geany-make-plugin or
  geany-install-plugin. See GIMP for reference.
- Lack of native scripting support. LuaJIT could be a _simple_ solution for
  that because of FFI interface and easy integration with C. Python also good
  but currently it's just plugin so not widely used. Also see GIMP plugin
  system for reference. One python script is enough to make plugin.
- Plugins has MUCH copy-paste code: settings, help, keybindings. API
  simplification is possible I think. Creating simple wrappers will eliminate
  the GTK spaghetti.

See full list and crash dumps here:
https://gist.github.com/scriptum/9949771

--