[Geany-Devel] Geany performance

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Sep 29 07:32:59 UTC 2013

On 13-09-29 12:23 AM, Павел Рощин wrote:

>> IIUC what you are seeing here is Scintilla laying out the window for the
>> first time, not just the goto.  That still will be done if the
>> editor_goto_pos is not called, just from a delayed idle callback IIUC.  If
>> its in the order of 3 seconds then I'm not sure delaying it is really going
>> to improve the user experience (even though it moves the action out of the
>> function you are measuring :)
>
> Profiling shows that loading time was reduced dramatically. And I feel that
> difference as user.
>
>> This now ignores the cl_options settings since it doesn't call
>> set_cursor_position() any more :(
>
> It doesn't _only_ if pos == 0. Go to zero position? Imagine I'm trying to load
> project with 1000 files. For each document set_cursor_position(0) will be
> called. Why?
>
>> Possibly, but you have to ensure that the actions actually happen at some
>> point.  Sure you don't have to layout the hidden windows immediately, but
>> does that mean that the first time you swap to a hidden file is slow?
>
> This is the thing called interface responsiveness. For user it's _much_ better
> to wait 0.02 sec 1000 times when clicking on document than wait 20 sec on
> loops preferring execution over compiling.
>
>> It is difficult, it has been discussed many times, but neither Geany, nor
>> Ctags, nor tagmanager, nor GTK are thread safe and it would take a major
>> re-design to use them from multiple threads.
>
> I see, but it could be a great improvement. Maybe even make co-routines but in
> multicore world it sounds surprisingly.
>

>> Basically the same problem as number 1), plus the difficulty of maintaining
>> which tabs are loaded and laid out.
>
> Same answer: responsiveness and again responsiveness. I'm human, if computer
> thinks 0.1 sec - I will even don't notice, if interface holds for 10 sec - it
> makes me nervous. Maintaining should simple: just add flag "delayed_load" and
> toggle it first time user clicked on document. Of course if there are no
> architecture problems.
>
>> Sad as I am to say it, but maybe those with 1000s of tabs need a different
>> editor/ide, Geany's target is "small lightweight and simple" and it is
>> important that it maintains its focus on that.
>
> I tried Eclipse. Without plugins it's functionality is similar to Notepad++ but
> it eats 0.5 Gb of memory even without any project. To support all languages I
> need  for I should download thousands of plugins and now it eatch 1.5 Gb.
> QtCreator is a good but... C++ only. Recently Python was added.
>
> I need Geany for my work - it's huge project and I should handle over 10 million
> of files with different languages - from TeX to C++. Either I have to open 100-s
> of IDE or I can use Geany. I know there are much to do, I'm sure I could help
> with developing but let's start with this simple improvement? I'll make PR if
> it's easier for you.

Hi,

Just to be clear, all of the stuff discussed here with respect to lazy
the core developers of Geany, we have bikeshedded over it a lot, it's
just that the changes required to make it a reality are very much
non-trivial. It is engrained in Geany's DNA that global shared data is
OK and that only one instance of Geany will ever be running on one
single CPU core. I'm not saying it's good, or OK, but it *is*.

Patches fixing the situation are highly encouraged.