[Geany-Devel] RFC: Policy for Glade File Updates

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Sep 18 20:36:50 UTC 2013

On 13-09-18 09:07 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 01:38, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> P.S. Are we all still agreed to using old 3.8.1 version of Glade? I
>> think this idea of using same version sounds good, at least we won't be
>> causing additional noise in diffs due to different versions writing
>> stuff out in different ways.
>
> One might hope so, but 3.8.1 causes massive noise, see:
> http://lists.geany.org/pipermail/devel/2012-January/006418.html

Yeah, that's why I was saying maybe we should do like we (ideally) do
with the geany.txt file; make the changes and commit the text changes,
and then as a separate commit, generate the HTML and commit the noisy
one. If we did this, at least we could be sure that it won't be the next
person who edits the file's job to figure out if saving the file will
break it (like it will at present if anyone tries to edit it with any
version of Glade).

> I've just seen 3.14.2 is available for windows though.

In my experience, after Glade 3.8(.X) it got *much* worse; very very
much slower with big files like geany.glade, and crashing so much I had
to get into the habit of saving after every single action. I think I
only tested up to 3.10 though, so it might've stabilized since the
massive GTK3 disruptions in its code base.