[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 6 12:10:04 UTC 2013

[...]

> We have very few resources (and possibly expertise too) to rewrite the
> Geany API in C++, and it would be a big distraction and likely cause many
> arguments (as it already has).

I said nothing about re-writing the API, in fact I said it needed to remain
POD to be C compatible.

As for the arguments about future use of the C++ language, well we've got
lots of time, since whichever way we go, the first step is to get a
minimally changed Geany to re-compile in C++.  Things like RAII or
forall_documents() and any other changes only apply after that.

> We could instead decide to be pragmatic instead of idealistic and accept
> that only using the most useful features of C++ that apply for Geany is a
> workable, maintainable, easy to understand solution that is still better
> than just C99.

Well, C written in C++ is not a workable maintainable easy to understand
solution IMHO, but as I said the first step is to in fact get to that
point, then things can be changed as and when people have time and
inclination.

> I won't continue to push for this unless anyone else shares my view. We
> can probably give up on any C++ in Geany's core.

Don't let the fact that we disagree on something that is in the future turn
you off, I have already said I don't have much contributory time in the
short term at least, so you havn't lost much :).  But yes, being realistic
you can't do it on your own in anything like a reasonable time frame, and
it will require support of the rest of the community to accept it into the
project.

Perhaps a way forward would be if you provided a more concrete plan for the
process you see being used, such as actual changes to headers and code that
are needed to turn Geany into C++.  I'm sure it won't be as simple as
changing .c to .cxx (but it would be great if it was :).  This way others
have some way to gauge what they can contribute and you might attract some
other helpers.