[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98 - Re: Lets move to C99

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Sep 1 01:36:20 UTC 2013

On 13-08-29 05:08 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 29/08/2013 02:39, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> [...]
>
>> If we were to use C++, I think it'd be pointless to limit it to
>> CFront/CwithClasses-style 1980's C++. We should use common/standard
>> stuff like standard library containers, inheritance (maybe not
>> multipl-inheritance), the class keyword, templates (where it makes
>> sense), exceptions, etc. The issues/limits being discussed in this
>> thread are issues long since considered "resolved" or "non-issues" for a
>> long time for desktop software (and since a *long* time even before
>> Geany's first line of code was written :). The style of code I read on
>> the net and in talks and books and stuff is modern (ie. >= C++98) style
>> C++ and I'd expect that's what the bulk of C++-using contributors would
>> be used to using.
>
> Idiomatic C++ takes a *lot* of learning and experience to get right for
> someone coming from C.

Do you think there's more C-only programmers out there contributing to
desktop application projects than C++ programmers? I honestly don't know
but my instinct says there isn't.

>> I would even go so far as to say it's silly to not use C++11 since it's
>> [...]

Just for fun I wrote some theoretical code that could be used in a
program like Geany to compare styles between various C's and C++'s
(note: none of it tested).

http://pastebin.geany.org/gYFMO/