[Geany-Devel] On document pointer recycling

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sun Oct 27 11:49:20 UTC 2013

On 26/10/2013 20:29, Matthew Brush wrote:
> If the GeanyDocument were a GObject (or we added hand-rolled reference
> counting), the document would never get freed from under the code that
> uses them's backs.

My concern is that we might not find all the code that assumes documents
aren't freed. Some code might not be updated and would access the wrong
memory. I'm not certain, but I think there may be some code that retains
pointers without checking is_valid. Maybe I'm being over-cautious.

Personally I think reference counting would be OTT for this
(particularly manually incremented/decremented ref counting), there
doesn't seem to be a sensible reason to free document memory IMO.