[Geany-Devel] On document pointer recycling - doc->is_valid

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Oct 25 13:01:58 UTC 2013

On 24/10/2013 10:24, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Okay, but you still agree that doc->is_valid should be removed eventually?
>> >That's a step forward:)
>
> Of course I agree.  So its not a terribly big step:)

I only skimmed the discussion, but how can we remove that?

I think freeing document memory has high potential to break things.
There are a few places where Geany assumes document memory isn't freed
over time.

If people don't like foreach_document (or Matt's improved C99
foreach_doc with document pointers), we could add document_get_all or
something that returned a list of valid pointers. That can be done
without breaking existing code. Personally I prefer Matt's suggested
macro because you don't have to free the list.