[Geany-Devel] On document pointer recycling

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 24 09:24:08 UTC 2013

[...]

>> Agreed.  I wasn't meaning to sound like I was defending it. I was just
>> pointing out that one of its side effects.
>>

> Yes you sounded like that.

I must remember to be more emphatic next time :)

[...]

> Its certainly not a one line change, but may not be huge, depending on the
>> plugins use of the index.  However I wouldn't call it a high priority
>> change, even a thousand geanydocument structs isn't much memory compared to
>> the amount Scintilla uses :)
>>

> Okay, but you still agree that doc->is_valid should be removed eventually?
> That's a step forward :)

Of course I agree.  So its not a terribly big step :)

I currently do not have access to a dev environment where I can grab the
plugins and search for places the index is used.  But if its not used
anywhere (or even if its not used much) then it should be
deprecated immediately so nobody uses it in new code. Use G_DEPRECATED I
guess, plus \deprecated in the doxygen comments, I don't know if we've
deprecated anything before have we?

@Colomban, do we have a process for plugin API deprecation and removal?