[Geany-Devel] Segmentation fault when auto-close plug-in is enable [patch]

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Oct 24 03:59:42 UTC 2013

On 13-10-23 08:39 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 24 October 2013 13:09, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 13-10-23 11:36 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>> Regarding that pattern we discussed previously and used in this AutoClose
>> code for attaching data to a document, I'd be interested whether you or
>> anyone thinks this branch (last/top two commits) would be useful to plugins:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/**geany/commits/document-**datalist<https://github.com/codebrainz/geany/commits/document-datalist>
>>

> IIUC several plugins already use various methods of storing data for
> different documents and other Geany data structures.  Having a common way
> of doing that which cleans up when the Geany struct is destroyed is a good
> idea.
>
> But it seems a pity to have to duplicate the glib interface for each
> structure that offers the facility, can we just return the GData and let
> the plugins use the normal g_datalist functions?
>

>> IMO it'd be better to make GeanyDocument an actual GObject and get the
>> data lists for "free", but at least this is sort of a step in the same
>> direction.
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have no interest in "defending" this or hashing it out, it's
>> just one of my many local branches and hasn't been really tested. If anyone
>> doesn't like it, or spots some bugs or something, they can just not saying
>> anything (ie. I'm not asking for Code Review) and it will quietly go away,
>> if anyone really likes it, they can push it forward and we can review and
>> discuss it at that point.
>>

> Don't try to make special conditions that say your contributions must not
> be discussed/reviewed, thats rude, its like saying you think you are better
> than the other contributors on this list.

I said it specifically to avoid getting into deep design discussions or
code reviews, I just want a general +1 or -1 whether anyone thinks the
general concept is useful and whether it's worth looking at implementing
something similar. If not one else really cares, it's not worth getting
into details about.