[Geany-Devel] GTK stock items, icons and SVG (Was Re: Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 14 19:44:33 UTC 2013

Le 14/10/2013 21:24, Tory Gaurnier a écrit :
> I think adding support for vector icons is great, but removing the gtk
> stock icon feature, that's ridiculous, why don't they just update GTK to
> support any image format

Well, ask them why they are dropping stock items, I only know of one
single reason I find valid why they would have at least changed the API:
inconsistency.  GTK had APIs accepting both normal label strings and
stock IDs, and the result changed whether the passed-in string matched a
stock ID or not (like gtk_dialog_new_with_buttons() [1]).
This probably isn't enough of a reason to drop the feature altogether,
but it'd be one to fix the API.

[1]
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkDialog.html#gtk-dialog-new-with-buttons

> rastor and vector both, as stock icons? Then
> it would be up to the theme to choose format. But I do strongly believe
> vector is better for the future because it's resolution independent, if
> GUIs relied 100% on variable formats/sizing like vector images and grid
> unit sizing, then it would be much easier to work with different form
> factors.Don't get me wrong, I know the performance fallbacks there would
> be with older machines, but it would be perfect for new technology.

As many of us already said, actually GTK *does* support SVG for icons
since roughly forever, them being stock icons, named icons, or whatever
icons.

Regards,
Colomban