[Geany-Devel] Improving FiF

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 18:18:50 UTC 2013

Am 11.10.2013 20:08, schrieb Dimitar Zhekov:

>>> Proposition:
>>> Remove the combo box.
>>> Add a paste icon on the right of files, above the Directory selection
>>> icon, and set it's tooltip to "Paste the project patterns, if any".
>>>
>> This is not the same functionality, choosing project on the combo is a
>> sticky choice that follows the project settings, with this change the user
>> would have to remember to paste when changing the project setting or after
>> a custom search.
> And it also blocks editing the patterns. The most common starting point
> for specifying custom patterns does not work.

It does, although a bit awkward: Choose project first, then custom. The
project patterns remain and become editable.

> The "same functionality" can be achieved by using a check box, since
> the distinction between "all" and "custom" is nonsense. That'll still
> block editing, but at least won't be so clumsy.
>
> Or we can check if the field contains the current project patterns,
> and fill it with the new project patters on switch. Big deal.

I dont feel strong about FiF, so do whatever you feel right. However I
find the current combo box not that bad. The Project option is useful to
automatically fill apply the project patterns. I do like your proposal
of a "Paste project patterns" as well, but I fear that I need to press
that repeatedly while now I can select project once and forget about it
(even across restarts).

Best regards.